New Edition Covers Cooling Tower Maintenance, Pet Law, Mold, eCigs, and More!
Your Book Includes:
- A calendar of important dates
- A telephone directory of relevant city and state agencies
- Access to crucial compliance forms
- Brand new chapters on Cooling Tower Maintenance and Pets
2016 New York City Apartment Management Checklist is the definitive source of information on the myriad of complex laws that govern the management of New York City apartment buildings. In this completely updated edition for 2016, readers will find clear and comprehensive explanations of all the pertinent rules, regulations, and requirements that owners and managers need to know to stay compliant…and profitable.
Including important discussions of recent laws and forms, the 2016 NYC Apartment Management Checklist gives you access to the forms contained in this edition—as well as bonus forms—all in one place through the convenient online companion site.
The 2016 Edition has been updated to include:
- A new chapter on Cooling Tower Maintenance discusses Local Law 77 of 2015, which was enacted after an outbreak of Legionnaires’ Disease in New York City. The new law requires the registration of all cooling towers, annual certification, quarterly inspection, and reporting of increased microbes to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. The law also mandates the disinfection of cooling towers with levels of microbes that pose potential health risks.
- A new chapter on Pets covers the New York City “Pet Law,” which allows owners to enforce “no pet” clauses in tenant leases, as long as the owner does so within three months of discovering the lease violation. The chapter also explains exceptions to the waiver, and how the Pet Law may not apply if a tenant can prove that he or she is entitled to keep a dog or other animal for therapeutic reasons as a reasonable accommodation for a disability pursuant to the federal Fair Housing Act.
- Chapter 8: Building Resiliency Maximization, discusses a new law on the waiver of application and inspection fees for Hurricane Sandy recovery work and the related “Building It Back” recovery program.
- Chapter 9: Carbon Monoxide Detectors, explains the new rules for installing CO detection systems in commercial buildings, which include “mixed-use” buildings with co-op and condo units.
- Chapter 12: Exterior Building Wall Inspection, includes new site safety rules for façade projects.
- Chapter 16: Garbage Removal, covers changes to the refrigerant disposal regulations.
- Chapter 28: Mold, includes a new section of state labor law that provides that if owners use outside contractors or remediation services to address mold conditions, the company or contractor must be licensed.
- Chapter 29: No Smoking Law, explains a new law regarding electronic cigarettes.
- Chapter 31: Oil Tank Registration, Testing & Spills, covers the revised regulations for bulk storage of fuel oil.
- Chapter 46: Water Conservation, includes new rules for the inspection and reporting of drinking water tanks.
Table of Contents
Table of Forms
2016 Building Management Calendar
- Air-Conditioning Systems—Federal Law
- Air Contamination Disclosure
- Asbestos Inspection, Handling & Removal
- Backflow Prevention Devices
- Boiler/Burner Certification
- Boiler Inspections & Access
- Building Registration
- Building Resiliency Maximization
- Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Cooling Tower Maintenance
- Exterior Building Wall Inspection
- Extermination of Insects & Pests
- Fire Safety Plans & Notices
- Flameproofing of Materials in Common Areas
- Garbage Removal
- Heat & Hot Water
- Keys, Locks & Protective Devices
- Lead Paint Disclosure
- Lead-Based Paint—Renovation, Repair & Painting
- Lead-Based Paint Notice & Inspection Requirements
- Lead-Based Paint Hazards—Corrections of
- Lead-Based Paint—Work that Will Disturb
- Licensed Electricians & Plumbers
- Lighting: Exterior & Interior
- Managing Agents
- No Smoking Law
- Noise Abatement
- Oil Tank Registration, Testing & Spills
- Painting: Exterior & Interior
- Satellite Dishes & Antennas
- Sidewalk Canopies & Sun Control Devices
- Sidewalk Repair, Cleaning & Snow Removal
- Sidewalk Sheds, Scaffolding & Netting
- Sign Posting
- Smoke Detectors
- Sprinkler System & Standpipe—Installation, Inspection & Painting
- Superintendents & Janitorial Services
- Tax Assessments
- Waste Compactors & Sprinkler Systems
- Water & Sewer Bills
- Water Conservation
- Window Guards
- Miscellaneous Duties
Appendix A: 2016 Building Manager’s Telephone Directory
Appendix B: DHCR Directory
Appendix C: Cooling Tower Vendors
Table of Contents: Online Forms & Tools
Prefer to order by phone? Call 1-800-519-3692. Also, call to ask about our multiple copy purchase discounts!
People Who Purchased 2016 New York City Apartment Management Checklist Also Bought:
New York Apartment Law Insider
New York Apartment Law Insider is the only authoritative resource for apartment building owners and managers, covering critical topics such as:
- rent stabilization
- rent control
- building maintenance requirements
- correction of code violations
For over 30 years, New York Apartment Law Insider has been the go-to resource on how to best deal with New York agencies that owners and managers regularly come in contact with, including the Division of Housing and Community Renewal, the Department of Buildings, the Department of Finance, and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development. LEARN MORE NOW.